South Kerala Diocese
South Kerala Diocese (SKD) is one of the biggest dioceses of the Church of South India. It is headquartered at Trivandrum (Thiruvananthapuram).
Following the formation of Kerala, the erstwhile South Travancore Diocese was bifurcated into South Kerala Diocese and Kanyakumari Diocese in 1959. Rt. Rev. A.H. Legg, who was the Bishop of South Travancore Diocese since 1937, continued to serve as the Bishop of SKD.
As of now, the SKD roughly comprises the parishes in Trivandrum and Kollam districts. There are more than 400 parishes and 450 church workers under this diocese. There are 40 parish districts in our diocese, each run by a District Chairman. The diocese has been bifurcated in 2015 and the parish churches north of Attingal in National Highway and north of Valakom in MC Road have been included in the newly formed Kollam - Kottarakara diocese.
Over the years, the SKD has created a mark of its own in the society and worked consistently for its progress. Many schools, Industrial Training Centres and professional colleges are being run by it. The premier educational institutions run by it include the Christian College, Kattakada, Dr. Somervell Memorial Medical College, Karakonam and John Cox Memorial Engineering College, Trivandrum.
The SKD is administered by a Diocese Council where all parishes send their elected representatives. The Diocese Secretary and other office-bearers are elected by this Council. At present, Rt. Rev. Dhramaraj Rasalam is the Bishop of SKD and Shri. D. Lawrence is the Secretary.